November 4, 2012
That the Internet can be used not only for entertainment, but for a living, not a secret – of such a thing as a freelance, have heard everything, whose knowledge of the Web beyond the “Discover” and “VKontakte”.
Freelancing now call any home-based activities related to the Internet – here and site building, and copywriting, and content management, and a lot of branches, each of which offers good prospects for enrichment. This is confirmed by the numerous posts on forums freelance authors who brag about jobs, of which a large part of the middle class in our state of dreaming.
Do homework on the Internet – is a panacea for poverty? Unfortunately, based on the statistics, only one in five people, trying his hand at freelancing, succeeds, the rest give back up after the first failure, explaining everything (and himself, in the first place) it is, they say, “not mine.”
In most cases, the reason is not lack of skills (including representatives of the field of copyright, for example, only a small fraction are certified linguists, others have come to this area from other professions), and the original home-based representation of the Internet as a fast and sure way to make money, a kind of El Dorado, where the money will fall into your pocket. Once these expectations are not met, many disappointed in freelance and go to look for work in other places, much more doubtful – various MLM networks and trading exchanges.
Remember, instant revenue promise only crooks, but the path to success in freelance may be long, but sure, will wonder if you are serious to earn online. Here are the same laws as in the offline career: newcomers earn less professionals to move forward, you have to put some effort, and then your success will be rewarded.
As a freelancer, you work only for yourself, and your income does not depend on how good your boss or the company which carried out the plan this month. Generally, there are no plans, scope of work – one of the main advantages of home-based employment. But this does not mean that working for yourself, you will have an unlimited amount of free time. Freelancers, whose incomes start at $ per thousand, at times can be busy 24 hours a day. To clarify the question of the positive and negative aspects of freelancing, consider its pros and cons separately.
So, first let’s talk about the merits:
1. No direct superiors. The realization that no one will no longer be ordering, “scold” demand something for many who tried his hand at freelancing, is a powerful catalyst. Some visitors freelance forum wrote that after they began to work for themselves, they have literally grown wings. For creative people, which is what most of the “home-workers” freedom of action – a key factor of success.
2. Prospects for a steady increase in earnings. Getting a regular job, you get a certain rate – and you can get it in a year or two or five, if you’re unlucky and the authorities suddenly decide to raise wages (which is rare). Working in freelance, every day you become more experienced, that can be installed quickly, so – increase the volume and earn more.
3. Ability to plan the day. If the work is not out of the category of “last minute”, it can be moved to a different time of the day, if, for example, in the morning you urgently need somewhere to leave. The same goes for vacation and sick – they no one should beg, because you are your own boss.
4. Lack of spending on the “depreciation” – do not need to spend money on petrol or drive to get to work, to update a wardrobe, in accordance with the dress code, lunch in a cafe or dining rooms, etc.
5. Opportunity to continually expand your horizons. Internet – is a vast ocean of miscellaneous information, and, while at it, you will automatically receive the new knowledge.
And now a few words about the shortcomings of home-based work on the Internet:
1. Lack of guarantees of income – in most cases, in the initial stages, because freelancers and professionals often work only with reliable customers. Throw a lot like real life, and the web, so in theory we should be ready for anything and take setbacks as temporary hitch, not a sign that freelancing is “not mine.”
2. Low level of income at the beginning of a freelance career. Some “homeworkers” lucky and they immediately start to work with customers who are well paid, but usually beginners have to start career with small orders for a fee. However, if you treat domestic work seriously, this step can be quickly overcome.
3. The need to research on your own customers – for some, this factor can be a serious obstacle. It is inevitable in the initial stage of your freelance career, then, if all fails, the clients themselves will find you.
4. If you will not be for a while “in service” (illness, vacation, emergency repairs, etc.), income, of course, there will not be.
So, with the advantages and disadvantages understood. If you think you can and want to build a career on the Internet, should not delay the case on the back burner and boldly deciding on an area in which you work. But to avoid possible disappointment, you should immediately forget about all the myths that fanned homework. In particular, it is these beliefs:
– My free time depends on me: I want to work, I want – relax. Live by this principle can be only the super, followed by a queue, a novice at first have to load yourself to the maximum to quickly increase the number of customers and earn positive reviews. If you went to work and completed it is not on time, it is very unlikely that the customer will want to work with you on and will recommend you to others.
– Home work does not involve any costs. This is true, except for the payment of expenses of the Internet (please note that if you decide to do freelancing seriously need a good speed), electricity costs, the purchase of certain programs and instruments (for web designers), install a good antivirus and a lot of little things to do without that will not work.
– I am no one would indicate. Freelancers with experience can confirm that the customers who pay the most, usually put a lot of requirements for the work done and tough on their performance. Therefore, we must learn not to take the right notes with hostility.
With regard to such delicate topics as taxes, the debate on taxation in freelancing conducted long ago, and yet people are reluctant to register their income. So far, the legislation does not set out clear provisions regarding work on the Internet, but the government periodically reminds that revenues need to be registered and will soon take control of freelancers. Therefore, part of the “outworkers” already registered IP and sleeps peacefully. We are not campaigning to do it as soon as you set foot on the path of freelancing, but, nevertheless, forget the tax is not necessary.